Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Forget the Cougar--This Mom's a Lioness



Yesterday was interesting, to say the least.  I've never had the problem of not being busy, and yesterday was no exception.  I would be heading over to my son's high school and having a bit of a visit--three weeks ago he decided to tell the teacher that it "was bullshit" in regards to a group assignment.  Some of his partners were absent during the work time, there's wasn't complete, and there'd be no extension.  Because his mouth decided to spew words of indecency to an adult, a lack of respect was shown, and he was unable to handle himself in a fashion that is acceptable, I've been the keeper of his phone for the last three weeks.  And will remain so until deemed fit.

Being my son is NOT in junior high--a junior, yes--I wanted to figure out this power struggle that was happening between Brandon and this foreign adult.  I felt like the mama lion--protective, ready to pounce on any intruder.

See I've been watching the Big Cat series on the National Geographic channel--amazing stories.  Especially the way the producers are able to personify these cats to the point where I'm crying for the little babies and praying for their safety.  My husband found these tears to be amusing...not so much to me.  These lionesses are incredible--willing to risk life and limb for their cubs.  This instinct is so profound, that even when the little cub instigated an attack and was in the wrong, the mother was still ready to defend and protect.

I often feel this way about my own children, who are not perfect by any means.  Seriously, who is?  Certainly not me.  Regardless of their downfalls, I'm still there--ready to pounce, ready to defend, ready to protect.

After sitting in the class, and realizing there was no need for my defenses to be on such a high alert, I also came to the realization sometimes protection is not warranted, not needed.  There comes a time when the mama needs to step back and let her baby become that adult.  Giving them the opportunity to take the bull by the horns and basically grow the hell up.  So that's what I'm doing, difficult as it may be.  I'm putting my defense mechanisms away, and hoping my cubs will be able to survive the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment