Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Peace.

Last week I swore was going to be a great week with my kids come hell or high water.  And it was.  I can't express enough how wonderful the ENTIRE week was!  There was no bickering, no fighting, no talking back.  On the way to school, nobody complained about who was going to sit in the front or about the Christmas music playing on the radio.  It was peaceful.  

Times such as last week remind me of the joys of parenting--because, truth be told, there are often times where the bombs keep going off and I have no clue as to what to do.  During these times, not only do I feel like the worst parent ever, but I find myself constantly shaking my head in disgust and wondering WTF?  

But not last week.  Last week my daughter didn't push me away when I embraced her--so I found myself wanting to hug her constantly.  And I loved it.  I loved that she opened up and talked to me--something my teenaged daughter doesn't always do.  It's just not cool, ya' know? Last week, my son didn't pester his sister.  He wanted to hang out with her, shoot pool with her, and with Kent and I.  I loved it.  I loved that he wanted to be around us--something that's not all that cool, ya' know?  I loved that tucking them in at night was like it was when they were little--with backs being scratched, songs being sung, and hugs all-around.  I loved it.  Times like last week make me sad that my babies have grown up so fast.  I want to bottle those times and tuck them away in a place that is safe.  A place where change can't and won't happen.

I loved that they BEHAVED at Kent's party.  That there was no bickering, arguing, or wanting to leave. I loved that whether we were watching T.V., a movie, eating dinner--whatever the case may be, there was peace.  Ahh...peace.  There's nothing like it in the world.

They'll be home soon--on Saturday, Christmas Eve.  I'm excited because for the first time in years, I'll have Christmas Eve, Christmas day, and New Year's with them.  No sharing this year because their dad is going out of town.  Two weeks of bliss.  Oh, am I ever optimistic!  And while those two weeks may not all be filled with the peace that I love, I know it's there.  I know it's possible.

My two goofy kids!  I love them so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment